Final week to determine playoffs
And here they come into the home stretch…
The final week of the high school football season and there are still some post-season playoff berths up for grabs.
In Region 15 of Division IV, Amanda Clearcreek has wrapped up the No. 1 seed while Ironton has clinched a home game.
Heath and West Muskingum have clinched playoff spots but not a home game. The final top four remains in question if any of the four teams from places 2-to-5 lose.
Coshocton will clinch a playoff spot with a win as will Columbus Bishop Hartley.
Sparta Highland, Zane Trace, Alexander, and Portsmouth round out the top 10 teams. Only the top eight qualify for the playoffs.
On a side note, Hartley will play Ironton in the regular season next year.
In Region 19 of Division V, the order of finish is uncertain from one through eight.
Team who can clinch a playoff spot with a win are Monroe Central, Oak Hill, Fredericktown, Minford, Ridgewood and Liberty Union.
Coal Grove should qualify with a win over Fairland, but a loss would more than likely cost them their first post-season berth since 1992.
Wheelersburg and Caldwell could jump into the playoffs with wins and possibly knock Nelsonville-York out.
In Region 23 of Division VI, Malvern has clinched a home game while Columbian and Newark Catholic are locks for home games if they win.
Symmes Valley should qualify with a win over South Gallia, probably as the eighth seed and playing at Malvern unless Newark Catholic loses. In that case, the Vikings would be seventh and got to Columbiana.
The rest of the order will come from Tuscarawas Central Catholic, Bridgeport, Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans, Grove City Christian and Frontier. Shadyside has an outside chance to qualify.
The final rankings and pairings will be announced on Sunday.
Here are the schedules for the contending playoff teams:
1. Amanda-Clearcreek (9-) vs. Bloom-Carroll (2-7)
2. Ironton (7-2) at Warren (7-2)
3. Heath (7-2) vs. Lakewood (0-9)
4. West Muskingum (8-1) at Claymont (2-7)
5. Coshocton (7-2) at River View (1-8)
6. Sparta Highland (7-2) at Mount Gilead (2-7)
7. Zane Trace (7-2) vs. Paint Valley (4-5)
8. Albany Alexander (7-2) vs. Wellston (-3-6)
9. Bishop Hartley (7-2) at Bishop Ready (7-1)
10. Portsmouth (6-3) at Western Brown (4-5)
11. Portsmouth West (6-3) at Wheelersburg (7-2)
12. Fairland (6-3) at Coal Grove (8-1)
1. Woodsfield Monroe (8-1) at Buckeye Trail (1-8)
2. Oak Hill (9-0) vs. Green (2-7)
3. Fredericktown (9-0) at Loudonville (6-3)
4. Minford (7-2) vs. Lucasville Valley (7-2)
5. West Lafayette Ridgewood (9-0) at Newcomerstown (5-4)
6. Coal Grove (8-1) vs. Fairland (6-3)
7. Nelsonville-York (7-2) vs. Vinton County (1-8)
8. Liberty Union (8-1) at West Jefferson (8-1)
9. Wheelersburg (7-2) vs. Portsmouth West (6-3)
10. Caldwell (7-2) vs. Shenandoah (6-3)
11. Lucasville Valley (7-2) at Minford (7-2)
1. Malvern (8-1) at Sandy Valley (5-4)
2. Columbiana (7-2) vs. South Range (2-7)
3. Tuscarawas Catholic (6-3) at Conotton Valley (0-9)
4. Bridgeport (8-1) vs. Cameron, W.Va. (1-7)
5. Bishop Rosecrans (7-2) vs. Fort Frye (6-3)
6. Grove City Christian (8-1) vs. Fairfield Christian (2-7)
7. Symmes Valley (7-2) at South Gallia (3-6)
8. Newark Catholic (6-3) at Granville (8-1)
9. New Matamoras Frontier (6-3) River (2-7)
10. Shaydside (4-5) vs. Holy Cross, Ky. (5-4)