Woman killed in house fire

Published 10:16 am Tuesday, December 22, 2009

PROCTORVILLE — An overnight house fire has claimed the life of Proctorville woman, just days before Christmas.

Mikkie Rickard-Watson, 44, of 2008 State Route 775, was pronounced dead at St. Mary’s Medical Center following her rescue from her split level home outside the village.

A neighbor saw the fire and called the 911 Emergency Response at 9:50 p.m. Monday.

Email newsletter signup

Crews from the Proctorville and Rome Township Volunteer Fire departments responded. The woman was found at the rear door of the house, apparently attempting to escape the blaze that appears to have started at two back bedrooms, according to Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office Detective Aaron Bollinger.

“It appeared all doors were secured and at this time we don’t feel there is foul play,” Bollinger said. “However, we will wait for the full report on the cause of the fire from the state fire marshal’s office.”

It appears that the woman succumbed to smoke inhalation. The West Virginia Medical Examiners Office is currently running toxicology and other tests.

The majority of the structural damage was confined to the bedroom area. There was also smoke damage to the structure.

Crews were at the scene until 3 a.m. this morning.

The woman lived alone. Two cats were also killed in the blaze.