Stabbing case bound over to grand jury

Published 10:10 am Friday, May 7, 2010

One of two women stabbed last week gave her account Thursday about what transpired the night she and her mother were assaulted; meanwhile the daughter of the man held in the case said her father is a good person.

Connie Fisher, 726 S. 10th St., Ironton, testified during a preliminary hearing in Ironton Municipal Court that she and her alleged assailant, Joseph Lewis, had been “boyfriend and girlfriend” for approximately 10 months before the April 28 incident.

Fisher said she and her mother, Goldie Fisher, had gone to Lewis’ North Fifth Street apartment to get some of her personal belongings when Lewis “took a knife and started to stab me and mom,” she told the court.

Email newsletter signup

“Was there any reason you know of for this?” Assistant Lawrence County Prosecutor Brigham Anderson asked.

“No,” she replied.

Under questioning from defense attorney Mike Gleichauf, Fisher said Lewis had been having medical problems and had blacked out earlier in the evening and seemed to be weak.

Fisher walked slowly when called to the witness stand; she held her side with one hand and grimaced in pain, something noted by Judge O. Clark Collins at one point.

“Take your time,” Collins said as Fisher sat down in the witness box. “You’re obviously in quite a bit of pain.”

Goldie Fisher did not attend the hearing.

Ironton Police Capt. Joe Ross testified Lewis had admitted to him he stabbed the two women.

Ross said when he arrived at the Lewis residence, he found Joseph Lewis sitting on the sofa, holding his pit bull dog.

“He had blood on his hands, on his pants and on his shirt,” Ross said.

Lewis refused at first to put the dog in another room but kept saying people were hurt and needed help.

“I said, ‘who stabbed them?’ and he said, ‘I did,’” Ross recalled.

Ross testified after Joseph Lewis’ brother, Kelvin Lewis, arrived and took the dog, Ross entered the apartment and found the victims in a back bedroom.

“I observed Connie Fisher on the bed face down with several stab wounds to the back,” Ross told the court. “Goldie Fisher was in the floor, face up and she advised she had been stabbed. There was blood on the bed, on the mattress, all over the floor.”

Ross said he found the knife allegedly used in the crimes on the roof of a nearby building, just outside Lewis’ upper floor apartment.

Collins determined there was sufficient evidence to send the case to a Lawrence County grand jury.

After the hearing, Latoya Lewis, Joseph Lewis’ daughter, said, “He is a very good person. He was very intoxicated and out of his mind that night.”

Latoya Lewis said her father made a mistake and doesn’t remember anything that happened. She said neither victim wanted to press charges. Connie Fisher sat outside the courtroom crying as Latoya Lewis spoke. She did not refute or support the other woman’s contention that she and her mother did not want to press charges.

Joseph Lewis remains in jail under a $75,000 bond.