Reds make 2 bullpen moves

Published 1:41 am Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ST. LOUIS — The Cincinnati Reds made two bullpen moves Tuesday, putting right-hander Mike Lincoln on the 15-day disabled list with a strained upper back and demoting right-hander Carlos Fisher to Triple-A Louisville.

First baseman Joey Votto returned to the lineup after missing six games with a sore neck, and was batting third. Miguel Cairo started all six games and was 12 for 28 (.429) with two homers.

Manager Dusty Baker said if Votto hadn’t been ready Tuesday, he wouldn’t have been in the lineup until Friday because he didn’t want Votto to face Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter his first game back. Carpenter starts Wednesday for St. Louis and the Reds have a day off Thursday.

Lincoln allowed a run on four hits in 1 2-3 innings in Monday night’s 12-4 loss to the Cardinals and is 1-0 with a 7.32 ERA. Fisher gave up four runs in an inning Monday and is 1-1 with a 9.82 ERA.

Manager Dusty Baker said Lincoln was not injured Monday night but had been pitching through the injury for a while. In his last five outings, Lincoln surrendered 11 runs on 12 hits in five innings his last five appearances.

“We need him to get back to himself,” Baker said. “Something’s been bothering him, but not enough to not pitch. Finally, we’re like ’Hey, you’ve got to go get your stuff together.”’