Eight-year-old shows value of fire safety

Published 11:14 am Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kayleigh Broughton is a normal 8-year-old girl who has similar interests to her peers.

But now the youth is a hero by her family after she spotted a fire in the upstairs of their Storms Creek Apartment.

Kayleigh had gone upstairs when she noticed a fire in the bathroom.

Email newsletter signup

Some may say this was only a “small” fire. But that is like saying “minor surgery.”

It is only ” small” or “minor” when it happens to someone else.

This fire is believed to have started because of an electrical malfunction in the fan.

If circumstances had been different this story could have had anything but the happy ending it did if the family hadn’t been home or if Kayleigh hadn’t gone upstairs.

Fire safety is one of the most important lessons that any child can receive. It is also very important for adults too.

A house fire can take away so many memories and mementos, destroying things that can never be replaced and claiming lives of loved ones.

People often think that fire safety is only important in winter months because heaters are being used.

That simply isn’t true.

Understanding what causes most fires and taking the steps to prevent or be prepared — such as having working fire extinguishers and smoke detectors — is crucial.

These basic steps could be the difference between life and death.

Kayleigh Broughton may be a hero but it would have been much better if she didn’t have to be.