Ironton in Bloom’s June Yard announced

Published 10:36 pm Saturday, July 10, 2010

Congratulations to Dr. Phil and Maggie McMahon for being winners in the Ironton in Bloom’s June Yard.

I had the privilege of attending the “America in Bloom” meeting when the judges made the decision for the national display.

It was an interesting meeting with several speeches made concerning how we can help better our city.

Email newsletter signup

After the meeting, we were taken on a tour of the new high school.

Although, we were/are sad that we had our alma mater changed, we found the new building and displays were very well done.

We saw the new auditorium professionally changed, although we wondered where the “peanut gallery” went. In the old library, which has been made into a meeting room, we discovered a brick fireplace. We had never known this was in the building.

If you have an opportunity to take this tour, be sure and do so. Our 60th class reunion has already scheduled to do this on Oct. 2.

The next event is the ice cream social, which will be outdoors under tents. We will also be having very good country music by the Country Knights.

Come by and celebrate with us at the museum at 6 p.m. on July 24 on the lawn.

Another interesting site was visited last Saturday on Park Avenue. The King’s Daughters Clinic, under the supervision of Dr. Tony Virgin, was open for the public to view.

It is a very beautiful building and there are many medical attractions, which we can take advantage of. This will save many people in our county from traveling to Ashland, Ky.

There are personnel there who will take care of patients. This is another plus for Ironton.

Historical Fact:

Hospitals took care of 1938 Ironton (Information came from an article by Don Mayne)

Ironton, in 1938, was a two-hospital city with a total of 95 beds at Lawrence County General and Marting Hospitals.

The county facility at 2212 S. Ninth St., under construction since early ground-breaking in 1937, was under the superintendency of Flora G. Smith.

Erma Marting was superintendent of Marting Hospital at 311 Fifth St., with her husband, Dr. William Marting, physician in charge.

While it at one time had been the Roosevelt Hospital, it was remodeled into apartments, with the same address. TheCharles S. Gray Deaconess Hospital on Quincy between Fourth and Fifth Streets and the Keller Hospital, at the same address as the Martins were closed.