Coach gets four years in drug, endangering children case

Published 9:52 am Thursday, September 2, 2010

A former Little League coach will serve four years in prison for drug and child endangerment charges.

James Kiser, 44, of 161 Township Rd. 1189, South Point, pleaded guilty and was sentenced Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court on two counts of aggravated drug trafficking, two counts of drug trafficking and three counts of misdemeanor endangering children.

In addition to four years in prison, Judge D. Scott Bowling also ordered Kiser to pay court costs and $12,500 in fines. Kiser’s driver’s license will be suspended three years as well.

Email newsletter signup

Kiser apologized for his actions and said his life is changed now that he has accepted Jesus Christ.

He used to be a coach for a Little League team five years ago, he said.

“I’m really ashamed of my actions and I’m at the mercy of the court,” he said.

Also in Common Pleas Court Wednesday, Bowling agreed to dismiss charges and seal the record of Christy T. Stricker, 58, of 76 Falmouth Road SE, Granville. Stricker is a former Kmart pharmacist who was convicted in July 2009 on drug possession and theft charges.

Stricker’s case is what is referred to as treatment in lieu of conviction and it is rare that a defendant successfully meets the requirements of rigorous drug addiction treatments, Prosecutor Bob Anderson said.

“She did meet the requirements and we would agree that she is eligible to have the case dismissed and her record sealed,” Anderson said.

Bowling commended Stricker on her efforts and encouraged her to continue.

“I will dismiss the charges and also order that your record be sealed,” Bowling said.

In other cases:

Tyler L. Napier, 18, 2009 County Rd. 31, Chesapeake, pleaded guilty to fifth degree theft and was sentenced to four years of community-controlled sanctions and to successfully complete the STAR program.

Sandra J. Compston, 27, of 210 Township Rd. 1061, Proctorville, admitted that she violated the terms of her community-controlled sanctions and was sentenced to 11 months in prison.