Deadly fire likely electrical

Published 10:26 am Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Electrical malfunction, overloaded extension cord could have started fire

A fire that killed five people Monday morning was possibly caused by an electrical malfunction or an overloaded extension cord, said Shane Cartmill, public information officer for Division of State Fire Marshal. The fire, which has been ruled accidental, started near a portable heater in the breezeway of the house, investigators determined. The investigators found no evidence of criminal intent in their on-scene investigation, Cartmill said.

The fire was reported around 2:12 a.m. Monday at a two-story structure at 830 State Route 373 in Pedro.

Email newsletter signup

The fire marshal’s office has also released the ages of the victims. Rebecca Sue Hall, 38; Ashley Renee Keaton, 23; Rachel Lee Whitmer Laber, 21; Jacqueline Rose Sizemore, 20; and Xzavier Rayan Keaton, 8 months, died in the fire. Seven others were injured in the blaze.