Fort Gay man gets 15 years for Chesy home invasion

Published 10:17 am Thursday, November 10, 2011

CG teen sentenced for robbery

One of three men involved in a home invasion in Chesapeake will spend the next 15 years in prison.

Judge Charles Cooper sentenced Teddy F. Mulkey, 31, of Route 1, Fort Gay, W.Va., Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court after Mulkey entered a guilty plea for first-degree aggravated burglary with a gun specification, second-degree felonious assault and third-degree tampering with evidence.

According to the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office, Mulkey and two others, Elmer Mills, 36, of Louisa, Ky., and Claude Allen Mills, 36, of Louisa, Ky., allegedly assaulted the homeowner, after he reportedly came back to the house and found them in the home.

Email newsletter signup

According to a report filed by the sheriff’s office, the homeowner told a detective that the men tied him up and beat him with firearms. Following a police chase, Mulkey and Elmer Mills were arrested in Huntington, W.Va. Claude Allen Mills was arrested by federal marshals in early August.

Cooper sentenced Mulkey to eight years in prison for the aggravated burglary charge and added a mandatory three-year sentence for the gun charge, to be served consecutively. Mulkey also got another four years for the assault charge, to be served consecutively with the burglary charge. He also received a three-year prison sentence for the tampering charge, but it will run concurrently with the other prison time.

Cooper also sentenced Mulkey to a mandatory five years of post-release control.

A Coal Grove teenager was sentenced to six years in prison for first-degree complicity to aggravated robbery and third-degree tampering with evidence.

Jonathan Lyons, 19, of 103 Bowman St., Coal Grove, previously pleaded guilty Nov. 2.

Lyons was also ordered to pay $179.10 in restitution and ordered to serve a mandatory five years of post-release control. Cooper also sentenced Lyons to three years in prison for the tampering charge to be served concurrently.

“I’m sorry. I know that I made a mistake,” Lyons said, calling the ordeal a “blessing in disguise.”

“I hope in the end I will be a better person,” he said.

Lyons was accused of robbing the BP station off U.S. 52 at Charlie Creek Road at knifepoint in June with Shawn A. Morrison, who was sentenced in October.

Morrison, 18, of 414 County Road 54, Kitts Hill, was sentenced to eight years in prison and ordered to pay $179.10 in restitution.

A Huntington, W.Va., man was sentenced on forgery charges.

Jeremy B. Bailey, 32, of 6028 Hubbards Branch Road, Apt. 207, was sentenced to four years in prison for two counts of fourth degree forgery and one count of fifth degree forgery in which he was accused of signing the name of an 89-year-old man to credit card receipts. Bailey was originally charged with four more similar charges, which were dropped.

“I was spiraling out of control due to the pill problem I had,” Bailey said at sentencing. “Hopefully I can benefit from this experience.”

Cooper sentenced Bailey to 18 months in prison for the fourth degree charges and 12 months for the fifth degree charge, all to be served consecutively.