Meth lab suspects indicted
Four Scioto County men arrested last month in Hanging Rock for allegedly operating a mobile methamphetamine lab were indicted this week by the Lawrence County Grand Jury. A Kentucky man who allegedly admitted to authorities he came to Ironton to have sex with an underage girl was indicted as well.
Randy Stevens, 42, of 1513 Sixth St. Portsmouth, Charles Price, 40, of 2121 Vermont Ave., Portsmouth, Danny Brown, 43, also of 2121 Vermont Ave., Portsmouth, and Charles Bond, 49, of 2842 State Route 335, Portsmouth, were each indicted on charges of illegal manufacture or production of methamphetamine, illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of meth and possession of criminal tools. Bond was also indicted on one count of possession of a drug abuse instrument.
In late February, the four men were stopped by a Hanging Rock Police Officer who noticed some things about the vehicle he thought were suspicious. A search of the truck allegedly confirmed the officer’s suspicions and the four men were arrested.
Also, Daniel Preston Jr., 20, of 1053 Collins Ave., Ashland, was indicted on one count of importuning.
Preston allegedly met a 13-year-old female on the Internet and arranged to meet her in person late last month, authorities said. But when he showed up in Ironton and could not find the girl’s address, he asked an Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper for assistance.
The trooper became suspicious of Preston’s story and took him to the Ironton Police Department for questioning. It was then Preston allegedly admitted he knew the girl was only 13 and that he had come to Ironton to have sex with her.
According to information from the office of Lawrence County Prosecutor J.B. Collier Jr., others indicted were:
• Gary A. Thomas, 42, 904 Fourth St. E., South Point, one count of having a weapon under a disability and three counts of aggravated trafficking in drugs.
• James Costello, 20, 28 Township Road 1430, Apt. 19, South Point, failure to comply with the order and signal of a police officer.
• Bobby Effingham, 30, 403 Fourth St.E., South Point, failure to comply with the order and signal of a police officer.
• Jeffrey Row, 28, 198 Township Road 1106, Proctorville, one count each of forgery and receiving stolen property.
• Anthony Workman, 34, 48 Private Drive 286, Chesapeake, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
• Roger Meadows, 34, 3826 Stanton Ave., New Boston, one count of having a weapon under a disability and one count of improperly discharging a firearm into a habitation.
• Teresa Wicker, 51, 484 Township Road 44, Ironton, felonious assault.
• Kenneth Smith, 47, 825 S. 10th St., Ironton, trafficking in marijuana.
• Clifford Roberts, 35, 1097 County Road 1, South Point, one count each of domestic violence, assault on a peace officer and disrupting a public service.
• Curtis Adkins, 34, 103 Kelly Lane, Chesapeake, one count each of identity fraud and receiving stolen property.
• James Shuff, 30, 2580 County Road 210, Waterloo, improperly handling a firearm in a motor vehicle.
Additionally, the grand jury also returned two secret indictments for drug offenses.