Arraignments, guilty pleas heard in court

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Arraignments and guilty pleas were prominent on the Lawrence County Common Pleas Court Docket.

Proceedings were moved from their usually Wednesday morning time slot to Tuesday to accommodate the Independence Day holiday.

William A. Howell, 36, of 2437 S. 10th St., Ironton, was arraigned on a charge of misuse of a credit card. He pleaded not guilty through his attorney, Warren Morford. Judge Richard Walton, sitting by appointment, allowed bond set in a lower court to continue and scheduled a pretrial conference for next week.

Email newsletter signup

Gary R. Stark, 70, of 200 County Road 59, Chesapeake, was arraigned on one count each of carrying a concealed weapon and possession of drugs. He pleaded not guilty through Morford, who is also his attorney. Walton set a $20,000 own recognizance (OR) bond and scheduled a July 18 pretrial conference.

Edward Roach, 27, pleaded guilty on a bill of information to one count of trafficking in marijuana. Walton sentenced him to four years community controlled sanctions under intensive supervised probation (CCS/ISP) and fined him $2,500.

Ronnie F. France, 33, of 1618 County Road 144, South Point, was arraigned on one count of theft of a firearm (a .22 rifle). He pleaded not guilty through his attorney, Mike Gleichhauf. Walton set a $20,000 OR bond and scheduled a July 18 pretrial.

Jeffrey Collinsworth, 45, of 928 Pinson Ridge, South Shore, Ky., pleaded guilty to one count of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. In exchange for his guilty plea, one count of obstructing justice was dismissed.

Walton sentenced him to six months in jail but suspended the sentence and placed Collinsworth on three years probation. Collinsworth must also forfeit the gun that was mentioned in the incident.

Jamieann Jackson, 22, of 217 Township Road 219, South Point, admitted she violated the terms of her community control sanctions, also known as probation, by getting kicked out of the STAR Community Justice Center relapse program. Walton sentenced her to 15 months in prison.

Jackson was on probation for an earlier burglary conviction. She was sent to STAR for that conviction and successfully completed it and was placed on probation after her release. However, in February, she tested positive for drug use and sent to the relapse program.