Irish give McGraw
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Notre Dame women’s basketball coach Muffet McGraw has signed a 10-year contract extension to stay at the school through the 2021-22 season.
The 56-year-old McGraw led Notre Dame to the national title in 2001 and three other appearances in the NCAA Final Four. The Irish have lost in the national championship game the last two seasons.
McGraw is 591-215 in 25 seasons with the Irish and her Notre Dame teams have made 19 NCAA tournament appearances, including 17 in a row. She is 679-256 overall, including five seasons at Lehigh.
ACC inks 12-year
Orange Bowl deal
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — The Atlantic Coast Conference is remaining tied to the Orange Bowl.
The league on Tuesday announced a 12-year agreement with the bowl beginning after the 2014 season. It says details on the opponent and broadcast partner will come later.
The ACC has sent its champion to the South Florida-based bowl every year since 2006, and this announcement means that relationship will continue when the Bowl Subdivision makes the switch to a four-team playoff in two years.
If the ACC champion makes the playoffs, another ACC team will play in the Orange Bowl.
Carpenter out rest
of year with injury
ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a nerve issue in his shoulder that has sidelined him since spring training.
The 37-year-old Carpenter wants to continue pitching. He’s been told the surgery to relieve compressed nerves in the shoulder could allow him to resume his career, although there are no guarantees. The procedure involves removing the first rib.
Carpenter said Tuesday that he’s dealt with the injury since 2008. He doesn’t believe his heavy workload last year for the World Series champions plays a significant role.
Carpenter, the 2005 NL Cy Young winner, is in the first year of a two-year, $21 million contract.
AG: nothing illegal
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada’s state attorney general found nothing illegal or criminal in Manny Pacquiao’s controversial split-decision loss to Timothy Bradley in a welterweight title fight last month in Las Vegas, according to a letter made public Tuesday.
Interviews with the referee of the June 9 fight, two Nevada Gaming Control Board officials and state Athletic Commission Director Keith Kizer turned up no evidence of wrongdoing, state Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto said in the letter to Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum.
Arum manages both fighters. He sought an inquiry June 11, telling Masto that he hoped it would “show the world that there were no improprieties.”
Bradley won 115-113 on two scorecards, while losing by the same margin on the third.