Teen gets prison time for Frogtown break-in

Published 3:11 pm Thursday, July 25, 2013

An Ironton teen was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday for breaking into a local bar and restaurant.

Jerry Ray Blevins, 18, of 629 S. Eighth St., pleaded guilty to a third-degree count of tampering with evidence and a fifth-degree count of breaking and entering at Frogtown.

Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge Charles Cooper also ordered Blevins to pay $3,900 to the owners of Frogtown. Any other defendants convicted in relation to the break-in would also have to help pay the restitution.

Email newsletter signup

Blevins was arrested May 31 following the Frogtown break-in.

Employees at Frogtown reported that the bar had been broken into and about $15,000 was stolen, of which $6,000 had been raised during a poker run Memorial Day weekend to go for the Wounded Warriors Project.

About $3,000 was recovered.

Jodi Blevins, 19, and Christopher Dickerson, 18, both of 4302 State Route 141, were each indicted in June on a count of receiving stolen property in relation to the case.

They have not been arrested.

A juvenile was also arrested in connection with the break-in.

In other cases:

• Gregory Cox Jr., 32, of 1539 County Road 21, Ironton, pleaded guilty to counts of fourth-degree receiving stolen property, fourth-degree grand theft, third-degree tampering with evidence and misdemeanor resisting arrest.

Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge D. Scott Bowling sentenced the man to a total of five years in prison.

• Didre Riffe, 40, of 111 1/2 Lincoln St., Coal Grove, admitted community control sanctions violations that she failed to report to the adult probation department and tested positive for drugs.

Bowling sentenced the woman to the STAR Community Justice Center and extended her CCS by one year.

• Andrea Ross, 24, of 1097 County Road 1, South Point, sentenced to eight months in prison with a judicial release to STAR.

Ross previously admitted to CCS violations of not reporting in Bowling’s court and was sentenced to treatment at Mended Reeds, but the facility did not have an opening.

On Wednesday, Ross decided to take back her admission and go through with a CCS trial.

• Douglas Price Jr., 30, of South Point, was acquitted of a third-degree count of theft from the elderly. Price had served 11 months in prison on that charge and a fourth-degree count of passing bad checks.

Price has been out of prison on CCS.

Prosecuting Attorney Brigham Anderson said new evidence in the case came forth this month that he felt it was sufficient enough to withdraw the judgment on the theft of elderly charge.

Since Price had served enough time on the fourth-degree charge, Bowling terminated his CCS commitment.

• Kayla Burke, 28, of 3126 S. Fifth St., Ironton, was arraigned on a bill of information of three counts of third-degree aggravated trafficking in drugs (oxycodone) and a count of possession of drugs, to which she pleaded not guilty.

Bowling set bond at $20,000 cash or surety and $20,000 own-recognizance.

• Larry Dailey, 46, of 352 38th St., Huntington, W.Va., was arraigned on a fifth-degree count of possession of cocaine and misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest, possession of marijuana and criminal trespass, to which he pleaded not guilty.

Bowling set bond at $10,000 cash or surety and $10,000 OR.

• Phillip Morrison, 41, of 413 Etna St., Ironton, was sentenced to 30 months in prison for third and fourth-degree charges of trafficking in drugs, to which he previously pleaded guilty.

• Eddie Estep, 31, of 150 Township Road 615, South Point, was sentenced to six months in prison for CCS violations.

• Sara Woomer, 27, of Mason, W.Va., tested positive for drugs at her pretrial screening. According to the adult probation department, Woomer had prescriptions for the two drugs in her system, benzodiazepines and oyxcodone, but her oyxcodone prescription was short about 10 pills.

Cooper increased her bond from $50,000 to $150,000.

Assistant Prosecutor Bob Anderson also gave Woomer her final offer for her count of fifth-degree receiving stolen property.

Woomer declined the offer of nine months in prison or 12 months in prison with judicial release after six months and CCS.

Cooper set trial for Aug. 12.