Woman gets probation in drug case
A woman recently indicted for possession of a synthetic stimulant pleaded guilty Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court.
Misty Ashworth, 36, of 2936 U.S. 23, Piketon, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of possession of Alpha-PVP.
J.T. Holt, the woman’s attorney, asked the judge to consider probation and a commitment to the STAR Community Justice Center rather than a prison sentence.
“She has acknowledged she has a substance abuse problem,” Holt said. “… (Treatment) would set her up for a successful re-entry into society.
Judge D. Scott Bowling sentenced the woman to four years community control sanctions, STAR, 200 hours of community service, a $1,250 fine and a six-month driver’s license suspension. If she violates the conditions of her probation, Ashworth could be sent to prison for up to one year.
In an unrelated drug case, an Ironton man was sent to prison after admitting to making meth.
Ben Smith, 36, of 909 N. Second St., pleaded guilty to a second-degree count of illegal manufacture of drugs and a misdemeanor count of possession of drug abuse instruments.
Judge Charles Cooper sentenced the man to four years in prison.
Other cases on the docket were:
• Tyler Layne, 29, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of theft. Bowling sentenced the man to six months in prison and ordered him to pay $350 in restitution.
• Gregory Riggs, 24, of 7685 State Route 243, Ironton, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of receiving stolen property. The charge was amended from a count of second-degree burglary.
Bowling sentenced the man to six months in prison and ordered him to pay $1,540 in restitution.
• Aaron Quinn, 28, of 63 Township Road 1023, South Point, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree and misdemeanor counts of theft from Walmart. Bowling sentenced the man to four years CCS under intensive supervised probation, STAR, 200 hours community service and $1,728 in restitution.
• Sandra Compston, 31, of 714 County Road 54, Kitts Hill, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 14 days in jail, time served.
• Jackie Miller, 52, of 411 Walnut Street, Ironton, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 11 days in jail, time served.
• Dennis Walters, 45, of 9513 State Route 217, Scottown, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to eight months in prison.
• Daryl Bryant, 31, of 181 Rosebud St., Coal Grove, was arraigned on a count fifth-degree possession of drugs and misdemeanor counts of falsification, criminal trespass and resisting arrest, to which he pleaded not guilty.
Bowling set bond at $7,500 cash or surety and $7,500 own-recognizance. A pretrial was set for June 18.
• Chancie Berry, 19, of 95 Private Drive 2404, Kitts Hill, was arraigned on a fifth-degree count of breaking and entering, to which he pleaded not guilty. Bowling set bond at $20,000 property and $20,000 OR. A pretrial was set for June 18.