Propane leak evacuates Lawco
ELIZABETH TOWNSHIP — Residents of Lawco Lake were evacuated Sunday evening until the early hours of Monday after a tree fell onto a propane tank.
“We got a call at 7:01 p.m. last night of a tree across a propane tank and it was leaking,” Lonnie Best, 911 director, said.
Elizabeth Township Volunteer Fire Department was on the scene and immediately started to hose down the tank and evacuate the area about a half-mile in all directions. A HazMat team from Coal Grove Volunteer Fire Department was called to the scene.
“They sprayed it to keep the vapors down,” Best said. “Whenever propane meets with air, it makes a big white cloud. They kept the situation cooled down.”
By 1:30 a.m. Monday, residents were allowed back in their homes.
Responding were fire departments from Upper Township and Lawrence Township as well.
There were no injuries at the scene and no major property damage.