Community concert series begins Sept. 29
The 2014-2015 Ohio University Southern Community Concert Series kicks off the first of seven performances on Monday, Sept. 29, with the Ohio University Southern Community Band.
The Community Band performs several times a year on campus and throughout the Tri-State. The band performs a variety of concert band music including marches, Broadway show tunes, jazz, pop and rock selections. The band will also perform its annual Christmas concert on Monday, Dec. 8, in the Ironton High School auditorium and a spring concert on Monday, April 13, 2015. Additional performances are:
• Tuesday, Oct. 28 – Bob Thompson, Jazz/Funk Piano: During a professional career that’s spanned more than 30 years, the Charleston, W.Va.-based Thompson and his music has communicated with audiences around the globe. With appearances on BET, the internationally-broadcast public radio show Mountain Stage and several tours abroad, he’s been a visible presence in the jazz world.
• Monday, Dec. 8 – Ironton High School Auditorium: Annual Christmas Concert featuring the Lincoln Brass Quintet with the Ohio University Southern Community Band. The Lincoln Brass Quintet is affiliated with the Huntington Symphony Orchestra and consists of two trumpets, French horn, trombone and tuba. The concert features seasonal music by the quintet with its members then performing with the community band.
• Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015 – Duo Alves: Dr. Julio Alves is associate professor of guitar and music theory at Marshall University. A native of Brazil, he received his doctor of music degree from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music in Guitar Performance and Music Literature. He has performed locally and throughout the U.S. as well as in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Costa Rica both as a soloist and as a member of several duos and trios. His wife, Kristen, joins him on violin.
• Tuesday, March 17, 2015 – Appalachian Celtic Consort: Back by popular demand, what a better way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than with the hand-clapping, toe-tapping sounds of the Appalachian Celtic Consort from Charleston, W.Va., performing traditional Irish and Scottish music laced with a local flavor.
• Monday, April 13, 2015 – Ohio University Southern Community Band: The Ohio University Southern Community Band performs its annual spring concert.
• Friday, April 24, 2015 – The Stolen Moments Jazz Quartet: The Stolen Moments Jazz Quartet, from Charleston, W.Va., regularly performs music for all types of social occasions throughout southern West Virginia and the Tri-State. Their repertoire includes jazz and blues standards, ballads and a variety of dance music including cha-chas, tangos, mambos, fox trots and waltzes.
All concerts are free, open to the public and begin at 7:30 p.m. All performances will be located in the Collins Center Bowman Auditorium except for the annual Christmas concert, which will be held in the Ironton High School auditorium.