Man gets 7 years for burglary
A Pedro man found guilty of burglary by a jury will spend the next seven years in prison.
Michael Pennington, 24, of 10908 County Road 4, was found guilty of the second-degree felony on Jan. 12 after a one-day trial.
Judge Charles Cooper sentenced the man on Wednesday in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court.
Pennington apologized to the court and to his family and indicated he wanted an appeal.
In other cases:
• James Adams, 34, of 2439 Micklethwaite Road, Portsmouth, pleaded guilty to a second-degree count of trafficking in drugs (heroin). Cooper set sentencing for Feb. 18 and ordered weekly drug testing since the defendant will remain out on bond.
• Arnold Anderson, 37, of 301 Welch Lane, Greenup, Kentucky, tested positive for opiates at his pretrial drug screening. Cooper doubled the man’s bond to $100,000.
• Leroy Page II, 27, of 130 S. Chester St., West Jefferson, pleaded guilty to a second-degree count of attempted aggravated trafficking in drugs. A sentencing date has yet to be determined.
• Casey Rutt, 31, of 16460 State Route 218 Scottown, was sentenced to four years community control sanctions under intensive supervised probation and 200 hours community service for a fifth-degree count of complicity to breaking and entering, to which she previously pleaded guilty.
• Brandon Ainsworth, 22, of 3910 County Road 55, South Point, was sentenced to four year CCS/ISP and 200 hours community service for a fifth-degree count of theft, to which he previously pleaded. Judge D. Scott Bowling also ordered the man to complete the STAR Community Justice Center program.
• Jason Hudson, 40, of 1599 Township Road 158 Chesapeake, was sentenced to four years CCS/ISP and 200 hours community service for a four-degree count of receiving stolen property, to which he previously pleaded guilty. Bowling also ordered the man to pay $3,000 in restitution.
• Aaron Adkins, 27, of 111A Fairview Ave., South Point, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to three months in prison.
• Dan Bean, 35, of 2512 S. Sixth St., Ironton, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to STAR. Bowling also extended the man’s probation by one year.
• Terren Jenkins, 23, of 1921 S. Third St., Ironton, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 10 months in prison.
• Carl Taylor Jr., 22, of 607 N. Fifth St., admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 13 months in prison.
• Christopher Ball, 35, of 379 Township Road 155 E., Pedro, pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree count of possession of drugs and misdemeanor counts of possession of drugs and theft. Bowling set sentencing for Jan. 21.
• Scott Adkins, 51, of 13302 Lewis Gallagher Road, Dover, Florida, pleaded guilty to two fifth-degree counts of breaking and entering. Bowling set sentencing for Jan. 28.
• Joseph Sharp, 24, of 1123 S. Fifth St., Ironton, admitted CCS violations and was sentenced to 200 hours community service and the STAR relapse program.
•Kristopher Garretson, 24, of 155 Coleman Hill, Road, Hamlin, West Virginia, pleaded guilty to a count of illegal conveyance of possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance or the possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school zone. Bowling set sentencing for Jan. 21.
CHESAPEAKE — Two suspects in the fatal shooting of a South Point man this past week appeared before a judge... read more