Reds put Cingrani in bullpen
GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) — The Cincinnati Reds moved left-hander Tony Cingrani into the bullpen on Monday, leaving others to compete for three open spots in the rotation.
Cingrani is coming off shoulder problems last season and was considered a leading candidate to regain a starting role. Manager Bryan Price said on Monday that Cingrani will be used as a reliever for the rest of spring training.
“As of right now, we see Cingrani as more of a relief option rather than a starting option,” Price said. “We’re looking at our club and trying to figure out how we’re the best. We brought a bunch of people in that are capable of competing for those jobs, but we don’t have enough innings to give them.”
Raisel Iglesias is considered a front-runner for one of the spots. The Cuban signed a $27 million, seven-year contract last year. Veterans Jason Marquis and Paul Maholm also are competing for spots.
Two spots opened when the Reds traded Mat Latos and Alfredo Simon during the offseason. Homer Bailey isn’t expected to be ready until mid-April as he returns from forearm surgery, so the Reds need another option for early in the season.
Cingrani went 7-4 with a 2.92 ERA in 18 starts and five relief appearances in 2013. Last year, he was 2-8 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts and two relief appearances before a sore shoulder sidelined him.
He was visibly disappointed over the decision.
“It’s not my call,” he said. “They didn’t even tell me what I’m really doing. I’m just going to the bullpen, so I have no idea.”