Alleged drug trafficker indicted
A man accused of selling prescription pills out of a local hotel was indicted this week by a Lawrence County grand jury.
Charles L. Shelby, 27, with addresses listed in Keego Harbor, Michigan, and Sandusky, was indicted on a first-degree count of aggravated trafficking in drugs and a third-degree count of tampering with evidence.
According to the indictment, the grand jury found that Shelby had $2,651 on him at the time of his arrest that was considered proceeds from the sale of drugs.
Shelby was arrested this past Friday at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Ironton.
Members of the sheriff’s office, Lawrence Drug and Major Crimes Task Force and Ironton Police Department made the arrest after finding 171 Oxycodone tablets with a street value of between $7,000 and $8,000, an amount of marijuana and $2,651 in cash, according to investigators.
Other indictments this week, according to the office of Lawrence County Prosecuting Attorney Brigham Anderson, are:
• Tanagnika N. Miller, 26, of 55 Hunt Ave., Charleston, W.Va., forgery and identity fraud;
• Daniel L. Brown, 18, of 603 Shamrock Green Drive, Clover, South Carolina, trafficking in marijuana and misdemeanor counts of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia;
• John Fedde, 35, 2100 Lexington, Ave., Ashland, forgery;
• Jennifer C. Flora, 25, of 6471 Merrits Creek Road, Huntington, possession of a controlled substance and misdemeanor possession of drug abuse instruments;
• Kenneth E. Crabtree, 48, of 2751 County Road 66, Proctorville, possession of a controlled substance and misdemeanor counts of OVI and possession of marijuana;
• Mark Johnson, 34, of Township Road 1339, South Point, felonious assault;
• Zachary Morrison, 27, of 44 Township Road 1325, Proctorville, theft;
• David L. Abbott, 51, of 5933, County Road 1, South Point, trafficking in marijuana;
• Douglas N. Price Jr., 32, of 2205 N. Sixth St., Ironton, five counts of trafficking in drugs;
• Marcus D. Birchfield, 37, of 2163 County Road 22, Ironton, theft and misdemeanor attempted theft;
• Ryan P. Russell, 27, of 304 Fourth Ave., Chesapeake, two counts of trafficking in drugs.
An indictment is a formal allegation that an individual has committed a crime. The accused are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.