Reds’ Marshall faces more shoulder surgery
CINCINNATI (AP) — Left-handed reliever Sean Marshall will have more shoulder surgery next week, ending his chances of making a comeback in the final year of his contract with the Cincinnati Reds.
The 32-year-old pitcher also had shoulder surgery last year, when he made only 15 appearances with a 7.71 ERA. He started this season on the disabled list, trying to make a comeback, but will need more surgery for a tear in the shoulder.
“He was doing everything he was supposed to do,” manager Bryan Price said on Saturday. “He’s doing everything to rehab one shoulder injury and he injures the shoulder. It’s impossible to explain.”
The Reds got him from the Cubs before the 2012 season in a trade that sent starter Travis Wood to Chicago. They soon added three years and $16.5 million to his contract, envisioning him as a setup man. He started having shoulder problems in 2013, when he was on the disabled list twice. He suffered a torn labrum last year.
Marshall led the team with 73 appearances in 2012 and had a career-high nine saves. The shoulder problems limited him to 16 appearances in 2013, when he made $4.5 million. He made $5.5 million last year and will be paid $6.5 million this year.
The Reds have struggled to find a setup reliever while Marshall has been hurt. Cincinnati’s bullpen had a 5.24 ERA on Saturday, worst in the National League. They were hoping that Marshall would be able to come off the disabled list later this season.
“I felt bad about it,” Price said. “He’s worked so hard. It’s been a challenge. It’s a huge blow for him and the team. We’re a better team with a healthy Sean Marshall.”
Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay