Porch fire reported at Ashland home, man found dead at site

Published 11:01 am Thursday, March 24, 2016

ASHLAND, Ky. — A man was found dead Tuesday night, following a fire on the porch of a home in Ashland.

Crews were called to the house on Boyd Street after someone called, smelling smoke, at about 10:45 p.m., Ashland Coroner Mark Hammond said.

Larry Moore, 68, was found dead at the scene. Hammond said that a preliminary investigation indicates that Moore died from a medical emergency before the fire started. Investigators believe he may have dropped a cigarette following the medical issue, starting the fire.

Email newsletter signup

Hammond said it was clear Moore’s death was not a result of the blaze.

“If you take the fire out of the equation completely, he still would have been deceased,” Hammond said.