Council vacancy filled

Published 10:25 am Thursday, September 8, 2016

Annual budget passed

CHESAPEAKE — The vacant seat on Chesapeake’s village council has been filled.

Mayor Tommy Templeton named Bill Duncan to the position at Tuesday’s council meeting.

The seat has remained empty since council member Alex Hackney resigned in July, after he moved to housing outside of the village.

Email newsletter signup

The council had 30 days to vote on a replacement, but, as members did not settle on a choice, the matter went to Templeton, who said he interviewed and considered several candidates for the position.

Council member Paul Hart praised the selection of Duncan, citing his long residency in the village, his 50-year employment at Schneider-Griffin Funeral Home, from which he is retired, and membership in civic participation in organizations such as the Lions Club.

“I think he’ll do a good job,” Hart said. “He’s always wanted to be on council.”

In other business, the council voted to pass the village’s budget for the year. The vote was unanimous, Hart said.

Hart said the council is also planning to meet with the village solicitor soon to discuss the law regarding medical marijuana, which is now legal in Ohio and what impact the opening of dispensaries would have on the village.

Hart also said that there was an accidental shooting earlier this week at the Chesapeake fire department.

A police officer was cleaning a gun, which went off and struck a firefighter in the foot, Hart said.

The injury was not serious, and no charges will be coming, he said.

On the issue of the resignation of police chief Lenny Abrams, Hart praised the conduct of the mayor during Tuesday’s council meeting, at which he said numerous people had come to discuss the issue and were vocal.

Hart said Templeton kept the meeting focused and refused to discuss personnel matters.

“I think he handled it well,” Hart said. “He said, ‘We’re going to have a meeting.’”

Hart said the council voted unanimously to accept Abrams’ resignation “with regret,” but felt it was the appropriate course of action, stating the mayor had told him Abrams had twice submitted his resignation before the vote.