Terry’s Mobile Glass hit by fire
Published 7:40 am Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Blaze started Saturday evening, no one hurt
Over the Labor Day weekend, the Ironton Fire Department had to fight a blaze at an Ironton business.
The fire department got a call about a fire at Terry’s Mobile Glass, at 414 S. 2nd Street, around 5:25 p.m. on Saturday.
IFD Captain Jeff Joseph said the fire started in an electrical room.
Email newsletter signup
“When we arrived, there was smoke showing in three buildings,” he said. Tackett’s Body Shop and Liberty Tattoo Shop adjoin Terry’s Mobile Glass. “The fire was contained to an electrical room in the shop area. It got out into the bay area a little bit. But it was contained to the main floor. It didn’t get up into the upstairs apartments. We got it knocked down quick, but the tenants were displaced.”
Joseph said that the transformer outside the buildings had blown and, since there were no electrical service to the building, the firefighters could put water straight on to the fire and put it out.
“It was bad, but it could have been worse,” he said. “It could have taken out the whole block. And, if it would have happened later in the evening after the tenants had gone to bed, we could have had fatalities, because the fire was directly under one of the apartments.”
He said the tenants and their pets were OK.
The blown transformer knocked out electrical service in a two block area but the electrical company was able to restore power Saturday evening.
Joseph added that the damage is being assessed.
“There is some structural damage, but it will have to be assessed by an engineer,” Joseph said. “The building is held up on steel trusses and the room that burnt was under one of those steel trusses.”
The blown transformer knocked out electrical service in a two block area, but the electrical company was able to restore power Saturday evening.
Terry’s Mobile Glass has been in business for over two decades. The company does glass replacements for autos, plate glass and windows.