Prevention and preparation: Fayette crews teach Burlington students fire safety
BURLINGTON — In the event of a fire, Mikel Smith, with the Fayette Township Volunteer Fire Department, told children what they will need to know how to protect themselves.
“Don’t rely on family members,” he said of the need to have a plan.
Members of the fire department were at Burlington Elementary on Thursday, as they are each year, with a Fire Safety House, teaching children how to evacuate in an emergency.
The house, a trailer borrowed from the Kenova fire department, is filled with simulated smoke comprised of water vapor and glycerin, and the children were instructed to crawl low to avoid it.
The department was originally scheduled to visit the school earlier in the month for National Fire Prevention Week, but had to postpone the stop.
Tim McMaster, the chief of the department, said they visit multiple schools.
“We’re going to be at Sybene next, on the 29th,” he said.
The crew members took each of the school’s grade levels through the house for a presentation that took about 15 minutes.
“We’re teaching fire related-safety,” McMaster said. “We do kitchen stuff, but telling them how to get out is the most important.”
A novel lead to the Lawrence County Animal Shelter getting a large donation from the Ironton Elementary School’s Student Leadership... read more