Students take part in Model UN: ESC event featured three middle schools
Dressed in international attire, students from three middle schools took part in the Model United Nations on Thursday.
The event, organized by the Lawrence County Educational Service Center, was held in the Bowman Auditorium at Ohio University Southern and featured seventh and eighth graders from Rock Hill, Symmes Valley and Dawson-Bryant.
The students select a country and then come up with resolutions pertaining to an issue that might affect a part of the world, such as access to food and water, use of natural resources or medical aid.
The resolutions are then debated and voted on, with students learning about procedures of the actual UN body.
“This is one of the many things the ESC puts together for talented and gifted students in our county,” Julie Walters, students services coordinator for the ESC, said.
Results of 7th/8th Grade 2019-20 Model UN:
• Keegan Schultz, Dawson-Bryant
• Brennan Meadows, Dawson-Bryant
• Silvia Nelson, Dawson-Bryant
• Addisyn Wood, Dawson-Bryant
• Jonas Otta, Dawson-Bryant
• Madison Hanshaw, Dawson-Bryant
• Abigail Workman, Rock Hill
• Rachel Chaffin, Rock Hill
• Josh Smith, Symmes Valley
• Chloe McCarty, Symmes Valley
1. Bangladesh, Dawson-Bryant
2. Myanmar, Dawson-Bryant
3. Ukraine, Rock Hill
1. Syria, Dawson-Bryant
2. Greece, Rock Hill
3. Zambia, Symmes Valley
James Boggs, the former owner and operator of the now-defunct Gem City All-Stars, has pleaded guilty to charges in Kentucky... read more