PROFILE 2020 – Mission to Serve: Ironton Lions Club has been serving community for nearly a century
The Ironton Lions Club was organized by Fred T. Davis, receiving its charter on Dec. 19, 1923.
The Ironton Lions Club was the 18th club chartered in the State of Ohio, and its first president was Howard E. Unrue. The Ironton club now consists of 30 members and the club motto is “WE SERVE.”
Over the years, the Ironton Lions Club has raised funds through various activities such as a minstrel show, war bond drives, a beauty pageant, haunted houses, haunted tunnel, golf tournaments and the sale of light bulbs and other items.
The funds raised by these efforts were used to support the Lions contributions to the local community, as well as the Lions activities at the district, state and international levels. The Ironton Lions Club annually distributes approximately $10,000 in aid and charity.
Locally, the Ironton Lions have provided monetary support to the Ironton City Mission, the Briggs Lawrence County Library Vision Impaired Center, Open Door School, scholarships, Project LifeSaver, local food banks, Pilot Dogs of Ohio, Ironton Little League, annual Halloween, Christmas and Memorial Day parades, Community Hospice, eye tests and funding for children’s eyeglasses and other worthwhile projects.
The Ironton Lions Club is active in a wide range of blindness and diabetes prevention endeavors at the local, state and international levels.
The Ironton Lions Club also supports “The Lions Quest Program,” in partnership with the Symmes Valley Multi-Level School, to teach age appropriate positive youth civic development programs.
STORY, BRENT PYLES | PHOTOS, HEATH HARRISON, SUBMITTED
Leaping into a healthy future: Birthday has extra meaning for South Point child who is in remission from cancer
SOUTH POINT — After four years, Hannah Staton will have her “first” birthday today. She was born on Leap Day... read more