Artists sought for crosswalk project
A non-profit group is seeking artists to brighten the public space around the Rotary Fountain in historic downtown Ironton.
Third and Center is looking for people to design and install artistic murals in three crosswalks.
Amanda Cleary, with the group, is co-owner of The Vault Market, adjacent to the fountain. She said they are hoping to choose three artists, who they will pay $800 a piece for their work upon completion of project installation.
Cleary said the goal of this project is to add artistic elements to an underutilized common space in the downtown area, which offers the perfect backdrop for outdoor music, art, culture and community gatherings.
She said they are not looking for a specific theme to the artwork, but hopes it will reflect that spirit of “togetherness.”
“We want it to inspire others and show the value of artists and culture,” she said.
She said they hope that by adding art to the crosswalks, the aesthetic will be greatly impacted and the space will become more pedestrian friendly, increasing foot traffic in historic downtown.
Third and Center is a non-profit organization that seeks to act as a conduit for community building by facilitating conversation, connection and collaboration amongst those desiring to positively impact their community.
Cleary said the group formed in November, so they could apply for funding from the Ohio Arts Council.
This crosswalk project is made possible by the grant from The Ohio Arts Council and community donations.
Cleary said they had originally intended to work with local schools on the project, but, with closures from the coronavirus, they decided to use the funds to highlight artists from the community.
“And, if we can find three artists and add to their income, that’s amazing,” she said.
• Design Dimensions- the crosswalks measure roughly 8 1/2 feet wide by 71 feet long. The art does not have to fit the entire width of the space.
• The following paint colors will be provided: red, blue, yellow, white, and black. Artists will be allowed to mix paint for color variations. All paint and supplies will be provided by Third and Center.
• Designs should be submitted via email to: email@example.com.
Please include name, email address, phone number and art submission for consideration
• The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. on April 20.
• The deadline for installation is May 24. Third and Center will coordinate with the artist and the city to facilitate dates and times for paintings to be installed.