Kentucky couple put on house arrest after refusing to self isolate

Published 11:16 am Monday, July 20, 2020

RADCLIFF, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky couple who refused to sign a self-isolation order when one tested positive for the coronavirus said they were placed under house arrest.


Elizabeth Linscott of Radcliff told news outlets she was tested July 11 for COVID-19 because she wanted to visit her grandparents and received a positive result the next day. Linscott said the health department emailed her a form to sign that said she would check in daily, self-isolate and let officials know if she has to be treated at the hospital.

Email newsletter signup


The form said the isolation order is to “prevent the introduction, transmission and spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus in this state.”


Linscott said she declined to sign because of one sentence: “I will not travel by any public, commercial or health care conveyance such as ambulance, bus, taxi, airplane, train or boat without the prior approval of the Department of Public Health.”


“I could not comply to having to call the public health department prior if I had an emergency or I had to go pick something up for my child or myself as a necessity and could not wait,” Linscott said.


When she declined to sign the form she said she was told the case would be escalated and on July 16, Linscott said she and her husband were placed under house arrest with ankle monitors.


Hardin County Sheriff John Ward said his office was on hand to execute court documents from a Hardin County Circuit Court judge. It was the first time his office executed such an order, he said.


Lincoln Trail District Health Department spokeswoman Terrie Burgan declined to comment on the matter to protect the privacy of the family.


On Sunday, Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear announced in a news release that there were 979 new cases reported Sunday, including 30 involving children 5 years old or younger.


Beshear said there were at least 23,161 coronavirus cases in Kentucky as of 4 p.m., including the new cases reported on Sunday.


Beshear also reported three new deaths, raising the total to 670 Kentuckians lost to the virus.