Announcements – 10/28/2020

Published 8:16 am Wednesday, October 28, 2020

— The Lawrence County Agricultural Society will have its annual election of board officers from 8 a.m.–noon on Saturday at the Extension Office at the Lawrence County Courthouse. Each candidate for the office of directors of a society shall declare his candidacy with the Secretary of Society by filing a petition signed by ten or more members of the Agricultural Society, at least seven days before the annual election of directors is held. The petition submitted shall state the specific board position for which the candidate is seeking to be elected.

— Ladies 9 Hole Golf Group meets Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. and plays at 9:30 a.m. weekly at Pine Grove Golf Course. All ladies are welcome.

— The Lawrence County Health Department offers a free car seat program for those who qualify. Call 740-532-3962 to be placed on a first-come, first-served waiting list.

Email newsletter signup

— Ohio State Legal Services Association provides free representation in civil matters to people who cannot afford an attorney in Lawrence and surrounding counties. For more information call 1-800-589-5888.

— Those who want to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon from the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office should call 740-532-3525 and schedule an appointment. This is essential since staff is not always available to process these permits.

— Harvest for the Hungry Food Pantry is open from 5-8 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month.

— The Lawrence County Department of Jobs and Family Services is recruiting any non-profit organization that may be interested in becoming a work experience site for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participants. Most able-bodied, working age individuals must also fulfill employment or training requirements of up to 20 hours per week. LCDJFS is seeking Lawrence County non-profit organization to help them meet the requirement. Work experience sites are provided an opportunity to meet staffing needs at no additional cost to the site. If interested, contact James Ward at 740-532-3324, ext. 220 or

— Myrtle Ridge Cemetery seeks donations to pay for mowing and general upkeep of the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried there, or own a lot, please send donations to Sharon Skaggs at 2791 State Route 217, Kitts Hill, Ohio 45645.

— The Mt. Pleasant FWB Cemetery Fund is having a fundraising drive for upkeep of the cemetery. It is maintained only through donations and the group is asking for support from those that have loved ones buried in the cemetery. Donations can be sent to Mt. Pleasant FWB Cemetery Fund, c/o Michele Layne, 211 Township Rd. 1156, Chesapeake, Ohio, 45619.

—The Perkins Ridge Cemetery Association is accepting donations to help with mowing expenses, which can be mailed to Debbie Hayes, 8609 St. Rt. 217 Scottown, Ohio 45678.

— The Lawrence County Veterans Service Commission and Lawrence County Recorder Sharon Gossett Hager are now offering veteran ID cards to any Lawrence County veteran who is honorably discharged. Veterans must provide a DD-214 and must be registered with the recorder’s office. Residency status must be verified by driver’s license, recent utility bill, etc. Veterans must have served active duty other than for training purposes only and discharge must be honorable or general under honorable conditions. No other character of service will be accepted. The five branches of service are Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy and Marines. Merchant Marines qualify with a valid DD-214 only. If a veteran is unable to locate their discharge, the veterans’ service office will assist in submitting a request. ID cards will be issued by appointment only and by calling the recorder’s office at 740-533-4314.

— Nancy’s Nook, 106 N. Third St., Ironton, is open on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Proceeds benefit Harvest for the Hungry food pantry, which serves all of Lawrence County. For more information, call 740-646-4188.

— Coadforkids has staff to help select the right child-care provider. They have a list of providers in your area and a list of questions to ask when you talk to them. The service is free. Call coadforkids at 1-800-577-2276, 740-289-8800 or go to