• 39°

Grand jury indicts Seagraves for murder, assault on jail staffer


An Ironton woman arrested last week in connection with the shooting death of an Elizabeth Township man was indicted for that death this week.

The Lawrence County Grand Jury has returned a murder indictment against Ashley D. Seagraves, 23, of 214 1/2 Pearl St., in the death of Delmar Jenkins, 53, of 279 Township Road 323, Ironton.

The indictment also included two counts of felonious assault in connection with the attack on a Lawrence County Jail matron, an event that also occurred last week.

Assistant Lawrence County Prosecutor Brigham Anderson said the murder charge carries a possible sentence of 15 years to life in prison; however, because she allegedly used a firearm to commit the crime, Seagraves, if convicted, would receive an additional three- year sentence for what is known as a gun specification.

The three-year gun specification conviction would be served consecutively to the 15-year murder sentence, meaning her actual sentence would be 18 years to life in prison if she is found guilty.

Anderson declined at this time to discuss a motive.

One of the two assault charges alleges Seagraves used a weapon and “did knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm” to the staff member, according to the indictment.

“She took an item at the jail and sharpened the edge on it,” Anderson said.

Anderson said the other charge alleges Seagraves tried to choke the jail matron.

Seagraves, who is seven-and-a-half months pregnant, remains in the Lawrence County Jail under a $250,000 bond.

During a preliminary hearing in Ironton Municipal Court last week, Lawrence County Sheriff’s Detective Aaron Bollinger testified that Seagraves had admitted to shooting Jenkins in his bedroom June 12 and had admitted she has a drug addiction.

Bollinger testified that Seagraves told him she had spent the night at Jenkins’ home and thought Jenkins had had sexual relations with her while she was unconscious from the drugs. Bollinger said Seagraves told him she had considered killing herself and Jenkins.

She found a gun and shot Jenkins and then turned the gun on herself but found only one round in the gun, Bollinger said.

Jenkins was found still alive a few hours later by a family member and was taken to an area hospital; he was placed on life support but died the next day.