Solid waste management announces 2018 events
The Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District has announced its events for 2018, which feature numerous drug take back and cleanup efforts. All of the following events take place from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• March 26-March 30 (Monday-Friday): Shawnee Park Cleanup. To register, call 740-858-6652.
• April 13 (Friday): Scioto County Drug Take Back Day at the Scioto County Sheriff’s Department parking lot.
• April 14 (Saturday): Lawrence County Drug Take Back Day at Ironton Hills Plaza.
• May 5 (Saturday): Lawrence Countywide Cleanup Day at various locations throughout the county. Events begin at 9 a.m.
• May 11 (Friday): Scioto County E-Waste/Document Shred Day at the Valley Wholesale Foods parking lot in Portsmouth.
• May 12 (Saturday): Lawrence County E-Waste/Document Shred Day at Ironton Hills Plaza.
• June 16 (Saturday): Ohio River Sweep at various locations throughout Lawrence and Scioto counties.
• Sept. 29 (Saturday) Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Event from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the former Dow Chemical site in Haverhill.
“We provide all of these programs for the residents of Lawrence and Scioto counties,” Dan Palmer, LSSWMD director, said. “All of the events are free, and we encourage people to take advantage of them.”
Each event happens annually besides the HHW Event, which happens every two years.
At last year’s Lawrence County Drug Take Back Day, 45 vehicles took part, and 52 lbs. of pills, 40 lbs. of sharps/syringes and 20 lbs. of liquid medications were collected.
The HHW event handles nearly all household waste, including properly disposing of chemicals such as paint and auto fluids, tires, electronic waste, sensitive documents and medications. At the HHW event in 2016, more than 200 vehicles took advantage of the service.
For more information about the Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District, visit www.lsswmd.org or the Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District’s Facebook page.