Hazardous waste to be collected this weekend
Published 8:10 am Monday, September 24, 2018
Event takes place at former Dow Chemical plant
The Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District’s biennial Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Event, put on along with Veolia Environmental Services, is set for 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29 at the former Dow Chemical plant in Hanging Rock.
The service is provided free of charge for Lawrence County and Scioto County residents only, and proof of residency will need to be provided. Also, the service is for individuals only, and no businesses will be permitted.
Items that will be accepted at the event include:
Email newsletter signup
• Scrap tires of passenger cars and light trucks only. There is also a limit of 10 tires per person, which must be taken off the rims.
• Lead-acid batteries
• Electronics, including cell phones, computers, scanners, copiers, monitors, keyboards, printers and fax machines. There is also a limit of 10 electronic items per person.
• Motor oil and brake fluid
• Used antifreeze
• Paint, paint thinners and solvents
• Cleaners with acid or lye
• Pesticides or herbicides
• Pool chemicals
• Pharmaceuticals, either prescription or over-the-counter medications
Items that WILL NOT be accepted include explosives, ammunition, trash, medical waste (needles/syringes), yard waste, heating oil tanks, fuel tanks, appliances and TVs.
Residents should prepare for the event by bringing items wished to dispose of in a sturdy box, not mixing products together and being prepared to leave containers at the location.
The former Dow Chemical plant is located at 925 County Road 1-A in Hanging Rock. Residents should exit at the County Road 1-A exit off of U.S. 52 and follow the signs to the main entrance of the former Dow Chemical plant, now property of the Lawrence Economic Development Corporation.
For more information concerning the event, contact the Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District office at 740-532-1231.