Recycling to return next year
Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District Director Dan Palmer announced that the recycling program in Lawrence and Scioto counties will be brought back after the first of the year, but that there would be changes in the sites.
The district recently agreed to a new contract with Rumpke after its former contract with Republic had to be nullified due to Republic not being able to fulfill its requirements.
“We’ll be going from 38 sites and 94 containers down to 30 sites with 76 containers between the two counties,” Palmer said.
Palmer also said that the biggest former site, at the Sam’s Club and Walmart in South Point, was among those being eliminated due to residents from West Virginia abusing the containers, oftentimes disposing of trash and other non-recyclable materials.
“The people of Lawrence and Scioto counties pay a parcel fee for this service,” Palmer said. “It’s not fair to them for the people of West Virginia to continue using those containers.”
In addition to the Sam’s Club and Walmart location, Palmer said recycling sites at Chesapeake Elementary School, Ironton Middle School and Ohio University Southern in Hanging Rock have also been cut in Lawrence County.
Lawrence County will now have 30 containers over 12 sites, while Scioto County will have 46 containers over 18 sites.
Palmer said that the recycling program under the new contract would be effective Jan. 2, and the cause for delay was getting all of the containers in place, adding that some containers were still in the process of being built.
The recycling sites in Lawrence County are as follows:
• Foodfair, 7604 State Route 7, Proctorville; seven containers.
• Paul Porter Park, 221 Lane St., Coal Grove; two containers.
• Lawrence County Fairgrounds, 7755 County Road 107, Proctorville; two containers.
• Kroger, 6232 County Road 107, Proctorville; five containers.
• Ohio University Southern, 1804 Liberty Ave., Ironton; two containers.
• Ironton City Center, 301 S. Third St., Ironton; two containers.
• Wayne National Forest, 6518 State Route 93, Pedro; two containers.
• Rome Township Trustees Building, 9666 State Route 7, Proctorville; two containers.
• Lawrence County Educational Service Center, 304 N. Second St., Ironton; two containers.
• Foodfair, 409 Solida Road, South Point; two containers.
• Lawrence County Municipal Court, 10916 County Road 1, Chesapeake; one container.
• Burlington-Fayette Volunteer Fire Department, 7681 County Road 1, Burlington; one container.
WAVERLY (AP) — The third of four family members charged with killing eight people from another family will be arraigned... read more