Fundraiser to benefit 4-year-old
Heidi Adams battling childhood brain cancer
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser by donation to benefit a local 4-year-old girl suffering from childhood brain cancer is set for noon-3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24 at New Hope United Methodist Church in Proctorville.
Lawrence County Treasurer Stephen Burcham reminded everyone of the “Hope 4 Heidi” event at the county commission meeting Tuesday at the chamber of commerce, and said that he knows the family well.
Heidi Adams is currently battling Pineoblastoma, cancer of the pineal gland in the brain, and has undergone surgery and radiation in Columbus, as well as is currently seeing specialists in New York as part of an experimental program.
Burcham said a five-year survival rate for anyone with the disease is 60-65 percent, and for someone under 5 years old, it’s 15 percent, adding that anything anyone could give would help.
Several other churches are sponsoring the event, along with New Hope United Methodist Church, including Chesapeake United Methodist Church, Beulah Baptist Church, Fairland Southern Baptist Church, Finley Chapel United Methodist Church and South Point United Methodist Church.
Spaghetti dinners will include spaghetti, garden salad, bread, dessert and a drink. Live music will also be included throughout the event, including the Thunder Tones Chorus from 1:15-1:45 p.m., and other local talents.
New Hope United Methodist Church is located at 111 Township Road 1130, Proctorville.
Burcham said that if anyone is interested in donating to “Hope 4 Heidi,” checks can be made out to “Hope 4 Heidi” and given to him and he will make sure they are delivered appropriately.
The Lawrence County Commissioners also voted to make Sunday, Feb. 24 Heidi Adams Day in Lawrence County.
In other action, the commission:
• Received and filed the Dog Warden Report dated Jan. 19 and Jan. 26, 2019.
• Approved two floodplain permit renewals.
• Approved eight appropriations.
• Approved two transfer funds.
• Approved and signed the Department of Youth Services FY2019 Subsidy Grant Agreement, as requested by Lawrence County Probate/Juvenile Judge David Payne.
• Approved to have a public viewing for Private Drive 220 Township Road 1148 to be established as a public roadway.
• Accepted the resignation of Jennifer Craft, EMT, effective Feb. 9, 2019, as requested by Mac Yates, EMS operations administrator.
• Met in executive session with Ralph Kline and Chris Kline regarding real estate.
• Met in executive session with Lori Morris and Mac Yates, EMS administrators, regarding personnel.
• Met in executive session with Chris Kline regarding real estate.
There will not be a commission meeting next week.